Are you ready to take the next step towards a healthier lifestyle?
LiveLighter is a new public health program taking you inside your own body. Learn about toxic fat, then use interactive tools to assess your health risk. Follow it up by making the most of our resources, delicious recipes and expert tips. Visit www.livelighter.com.au to get started today.
Obesity campaign encourages Mildura to LiveLighter
The health impacts of ‘toxic fat’ and the risks of being overweight or obese are the focus of a campaign being rolled out in the Mildura Region.
The LiveLighter campaign, coordinated by Cancer Council Victoria and the Heart Foundation with funding from the Victorian State Government, aims to educate Victorians about the risks associated with being overweight or obese and helps them make simple, lasting changes to their lifestyles.
Healthy Together Mildura is a supporter of the LiveLighter campaign and is urging all locals to get involved.
In the coming months you’ll notice posters, TV ads, newspaper ads and radio ads promoting the LiveLighter campaign.
LiveLighter is a public education campaign which graphically portrays the damage unhealthy weight, poor diet and physical inactivity can cause to internal organs. The hard-hitting ‘toxic fat’ advert takes people inside their own bodies, showing the toxic build-up of visceral fat, which can dramatically increase the risk of developing serious health conditions.
It has been designed to inform, encourage change and trigger fresh debate about obesity, chronic disease prevention and healthy lifestyle related issues. It is a critical element of Healthy Together Victoria, which is designed to improve health and wellbeing where we live, learn, work and play.
LiveLighter was developed by the Department of Health in Western Australia (WA) in partnership with the Heart Foundation and the Cancer Council of WA and has been implemented in WA since 2012.
The LiveLighter campaign is supported by a comprehensive, easy-to-use website, providing a wealth of information, resources and tools including an online meal and activity planner featuring healthy recipes that are easy to make.
For more information on the campaign visit www.livelighter.com.au
There are a lot of great resources and services available to help you make healthier choices where you live, learn, work and play. Healthy Together Mildura have put together a directory of some of these resources. – Click Here
Break your sugary drink habit and start to LiveLighter
Did you know that the average Australian soft drink consumer guzzles a 375ml can of soft drink every day? Per year, that’s almost 15kg of excess sugar your body doesn’t need.
Sports drinks, fruit drinks, energy drinks or soft drinks – when you drink too many sugary drinks, that sugar gets turned into fat, which can lead to toxic fat and increase your risk of some cancers, type 2 diabetes and heart disease.
LiveLighter is encouraging all Victorians to break their sugary drink habit and reduce the amount of toxic fat around their vital organs.
Instead of reaching for a sugary drink, follow these tips and start to LiveLighter today:
- Avoid going down the soft drink aisle at the supermarket and beware of the specials at the checkout and service stations.
- If you’re eating out, don’t go with the default soft drink – see what other options there are, or just ask for water.
- Carry a water bottle, so you don’t have to buy a drink if you’re thirsty.
- Be wary of health or nutrition claims on drinks. Producers try to make their beverages sound healthier than they are, so check the amount of sugar on the nutrition panel and consider the size of the bottle.
- Use the LiveLighter Sugary Drinks Calculator to see how much sugar your favourite drink contains, how much exercise is required to burn off your sugary drink habit and how many litres you’re drinking each year.
- Learn more about sugary drinks on the LiveLighter website.
LiveLighter is targeted at Australian adults and aims to:
- Increase awareness of the link between being overweight and chronic disease, while promoting healthy eating and regular physical activity.
- Increase understanding of the risks associated with poor lifestyle choices.
- Support the trial, adoption and maintenance of healthy eating, physical activity and healthy weight.
- Encourage public debate about obesity and the need for changes in the community to support healthy eating and physical activity. We need to make sure the healthy choice is also the easy choice.
FREE Meal and Activity Planner
Designed by experts, just for you.
LiveLighter know that staying healthy is a long term commitment and having guidance is priceless which is why they’ve developed this free tool for you!
The planner features a variety of delicious recipes that are easy to make, allows you to do the exercise you enjoy and is designed so your new habits can become part of your everyday life.
How to read food labels wallet card
Healthy Together Mildura and Fishers IGA are working with the LiveLighter campaign to help make the nutrition panels on food labels a whole lot easier to read and understand.
Over 13,000 LiveLighter ‘How to read food labels’ wallet cards were distributed through the Mildura, Merbein, Irymple and Red Cliffs Fishers stores in October 2015 to help people compare packaged foods and make healthier choices while shopping.
If you missed out on a card, click here to download your copy.
Sugary Drinks Calculator
FREE Healthy Recipe Book
LiveLighter have created a range of delicious and healthy recipes. For breakfast, lunch or dinner –
or if you’re looking for a healthy snack – our LiveLighter recipes are for you!
Here is a link to a downloadable version. Printed versions of this book are available for FREE from Healthy Together Mildura upon request.