Here are some quick and healthy cooking ideas. These meals pack fibre, vegies and protein into a quick-cooking (and flavourful) meal. Whether you’re cooking for one or a family of four, you can adapt the quantities of ingredients to suit you.
- Lightly sauté fresh vegetables such as onions, mushrooms, peppers and eggplant and simmer with pasta sauce.
- Top frozen pizza with extra tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms, broccoli and onions.
- Add diced tomatoes, shredded carrots, raisins and pine nuts to quick-cooking brown rice or couscous. Season with a dash of balsamic vinegar.
- Add canned and rinsed black-eyed peas, thawed and drained okra, diced tomato and sliced green onion to reduced-salt tomato soup.
- Stir-fry chopped vegetables and serve with rice and beans.
- For breakfast, top a cinnamon raisin bagel with light cream cheese and apple slices.
- Heat fat-free refried beans in the microwave. Add vegies and salsa and roll the mixture in a tortilla.
- Add frozen corn, steamed and diced green and red bell peppers and cilantro to a can of reduced-salt black bean soup.
- Stir-fry cooked rice, chopped vegetables and leftover meat with low-salt soy sauce.
- Add grapes, chopped celery, walnuts and dried cherries or golden raisins to pre-washed salad greens; toss with your favourite low-fat dressing.
- In the morning, place chicken, vegetables, broth and spices to your liking into the Crockpot to come home to a wonderful casserole that evening.
- Top a baked potato with low fat yogurt, barbeque sauce, low-fat cottage cheese, chives, sautéed onions and vegetables or chili for a super spud!
- Add canned or fresh fruit to muffins, quick breads, pancake batter, or cold cereal.
- Puree fruit and top your pancakes, waffles, oatmeal or roasted chicken.
- Marinate raw or cooked vegies in a non-fat Italian dressing for a quick, cold salad